Speed dating in fort wayne indiana
In 1950, Fort Wayne's first bypass, Coliseum Boulevard, opened on the north side of the city, followed by the city's first arena, War Memorial Coliseum, bringing new opportunities for suburban expansion.The Coliseum was home to the NBA's Fort Wayne Pistons from 1952 to 1957.The Miami regained control of Kekionga, ruling it for more than 30 years. General Anthony Wayne led a third expedition resulting in the destruction of Kekionga and the start of peace negotiations between Little Turtle and the U. After General Wayne refused to negotiate, tribal forces advanced to Fallen Timbers, where they were defeated on August 20, 1794. The Wabash and Erie Canal's opening eased travel to the Great Lakes and Mississippi River, exposing Fort Wayne to expanded economic opportunities. Fort Wayne's "Summit City" nickname dates from this period, referring to the city's position at the highest elevation along the canal's route.In 1790, after the United States achieved independence, President George Washington ordered the United States Army to secure Indiana Territory. The population topped 2,000 when the town was incorporated as the City of Fort Wayne on February 22, 1840. As influential as the canal was to the city's earliest development, it quickly became obsolete after briefly competing with the city's first railroad, the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway, completed in 1854.Fort Wayne's urban tree canopy is 29 percent, double the state average of 14.5 percent Historically, Fort Wayne has been divided into four unofficial quadrants: northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest.Calhoun Street divides the southwest and southeast, while the St.
This came to be the "portage" or carrying place, over which travelers could transport their cargoes from one system to the next.
Chief Little Turtle of the Miami Nation expressed its importance eloquently at the treaty of Greenville in 1795 when he called it "that glorious gate...through which all the words of our chiefs had to pass through from north to south and from east to west." It is not known who named the rivers, but they probably were given European names by an early Roman Catholic priest who passed through the area.